Friday, May 1, 2009

Owen's Third ER Trip

Oh, little Owen. Chris and I agreed a while ago that Owen rarely gets hurt, but when he does it always seem to involve a trip to the ER. Last Friday Colin and Owen were doing their usual 6:30 a.m. sprints down the downstairs hallway. Owen's sprint goes from the front door and then he usually does a lap around the chair in the living room and heads back to the front door.

But on this fateful lap, an obstacle lay in his way. Usually he can dodge and weave with the best of them, but not this morning. Instead, he did some sort of weird trip over the toy (which by the way, I have no idea what it's called, but Colin calls it the "crocodile that eats cars") and hurt his leg. He cried and cried and cried and cried. After about a half an hour, I knew something was wrong. Especially since refused to be put down and couldn't put weight on it. So, Chris rushed home to take Colin to school and I took Owen to the ER.

He had X-rays taken and nothing was broken, THANK GOD, but clearly it was a bad sprain. And therefore last weekend was a LONG weekend. He didn't walk the rest of the day Friday, didn't walk Saturday, and didn't walk until Sunday night when he took a few careful steps while holding my hands. All this week he's gotten a tiny bit better each day, but he's still limping and I still have to be really careful about managing the chaos.

On a normal day a dispute over a toy involves a lot of screaming and chasing and other sorts of wildness, but right now I'm just trying to keep them from running and Owen from re injuring it. Trying to keep two little boys from chasing each other turns out is almost as hard as roping the wind. But I'm trying. Hopefully in a few more days they will be back to their 6:30 a.m. sprints.

No comments: