Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Charter Schools H-1 Visa Controversy?

A departure from what I normally write about here, but this sure is interesting....

So yesterday I got a flyer in the mail about a brand new charter school in my area. It had a nice "green energy" theme to it and a picture of Obama on the front and promises of a G&T program and it sparked my interest. Green? Obama? Gifted? Woot!

I started looking around on the internet for information and couldn't find anything besides one man's name, a couple mentions in articles (just on how new charter schools will pull funding from public schools) and a list of its progress on a what looked like a conspiracy theory website.

Conspiracy theory website about charter schools?!? What? So I started reading through it and am now fascinated by this.. Part of the conspiracy is based on whether or not the people establishing the schools follow a certain Imam, I don't have an opinion on that part. But, there are a ton of schools being founded by Turkish nationals which I find so interesting. (One article I listed below said that 120 charter schools have been founded by Turkish Nationals in the US since 1999). The school I got the flyer about, is indeed being founded by a Turkish national (found his resume online).

Here's an article in the USA Today about some of the schools

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-08-17-turkishfinal17_CV_N.htm

A recent article about four Oklahoma Charter schools

http://newsok.com/schools-backers-say-islamic-ties-pose-no-threat/article/3563627

Now I don't find the religious connection concerning, if it exists. The one thing I find concerning is that apparently a lot of the schools use a good deal of H-1 visas to bring teachers in from overseas, specifically from Turkey. Since the schools operate as charter schools it concerns me that they are taking public funding from our public schools to pay the teachers on visas and thus taking jobs from our teachers. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else stumbled on this?

Oh and one last article, apparently some of the Wikileaks documents showed the US's unease with the H-1 visas for the teachers "Classified documents recently released by WikiLeaks recount U.S. officials' growing concern over large numbers of Turkish men seeking visas to work at American charter schools..."

http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-04/news/29380536_1_charter-schools-fethullah-gulen-truebright-science-academy

So what do you all think of all this?

No comments: