Sunday, August 16, 2009

Colin Saves the Rainforest

Yesterday when we were at the Bronx Zoo we stumbled into the area dedicated to jungles and rain forests. When we walked out it had a ticker showing the number of acres in the rain forest when the exhibit opened in 1985 and the number of acres today. And it says that each minute 100 acres or more of rain forest are cut and burned. Followed by the quote "In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum.

Colin and I were talking about that this morning and how terrible it is that the rain forests were being cut down. He was particularly upset with the fact that the black panthers live in the rain forest and how their homes were being cut down. He asked "If their homes are cut down, where will they go?"

Thinking it was a moment that he could think about how to help the Earth, I asked, "What do you think we can do to stop the rain forests from being cut down?"

He thought for a second and answered "I know! The black panthers can EAT the people cutting down the rain forests!"

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just another story to illustrate how adorable that boy is!

Brigid Barnes said...

Great idea! I'm all for it!