Thursday, January 10, 2008

Brave Owen

Today Owen had to have a procedure done called a flex sigmoidoscopy. I was extremely nervous about this. It was the first time I would have to hand one of my babies to a doctor or nurse and trust that everything would be okay and they would be returned to me.

I have to say the entire thing was so much less traumatizing than I had imagined. Owen actually had a blast in the hospital room waiting for the procedure. The nurses brought him a bunch of toys to play with and I think he was enjoying the undivided attention of mommy and daddy. He didn't even realize it had been three hours since he last nursed! He was a champ.

free image hosting

To start the procedure, the doctor and nurses let me carry Owen into the OR room and get him used to it. I put him down and they all fawned over him and there was someone there whose whole job was to blow bubbles and entertain Owen while it lasted. I gave him a kiss and scooted out the door.

They told me and Chris to go grab a quick cup of coffee for ten minutes so we wouldn't hear him cry. We went out and grabbed a coffee, as soon as we sat down the doctor came walking through the lobby with Owen. She brought him to us! He was doing that hiccupy cry, but cheered up as soon as I held him for a few minutes. What a trooper.

When we got back to the hospital room they let me feed him. He started nursing and immediately closed his little eyes and fell asleep. It's in those moments that I can sense the all encompassing trust of Owen in me. In those moments, I promise him that I will doing everything in my power to keep him safe. I could feel him sigh and I felt like I could finally exhale and put one more worry behind me for now.

No comments: