Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tell me to take a bottle, I say No! No! No!

I haven’t talked a whole lot about it on this blog, but Owen has been dealing with GI issues for quite some time. Two GIs and one allergist agree that it seems like he has something called allergic colitis.

Because of this I have had to limit my diet to six foods. Right now I’m eating turkey, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pears, olive oil and squash. I’m drinking water and one cup of coffee per day. He has improved greatly while I’ve been on this diet, but honestly, it isn’t very healthy for me. Each attempt to add foods into my diet or to his have ended badly. So we have made the decision to try to get him to take Neocate.

If you have never smelled or tasted Neocate, you are pretty lucky. I liken it to warm vomit. And Owen has never taken a bottle in his life. So basically although I wrangled for days with the decision to wean, cried so many tears and came out feeling positive about my decision, Owen hasn’t gotten the memo.

The newer (and nicer) GI suggested trying to get Owen to take bottles of breastmilk before even trying the Neocate. He’s seven months old and isn’t particularly easygoing. When I first offered the bottle, he nearly did a backflip out of my arms while screaming hysterically. I had no idea it was so offensive, but apparently to Owen, it was NOT acceptable. Chris’s first attempt to give a bottle went even worse.

So we took a trip to the store. I walked away with three new kinds of bottles to try including this one:

free image hosting

I actually might feel uncomfortable using this one in public. It looks a bit too much like the real thing. Regardless, I thought surely he would take that one! Um, no.

Yesterday he agreed to chew on a bottle and ended up drinking 1 oz. So, that’s something. Maybe today he will drink 2 oz! And then I can look forward to maybe eating something other than turkey for dinner sometime in the next few months.

And I should add that although Owen has had some scary diapers, he’s happy, active and ahead of the curve at everything besides digesting proteins. His iron levels are fine, blood tests are great and everything else looks perfect. The main issues with not weaning are dealing with his night-waking and my never-ending debilitating hunger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My July 07 baby also does not take a bottle (or even a paci). We recently tried a regular old sippy cup and he loves it! Wanted to recommend trying it - you never know what they will take.

I feel your pain on the allergic colitis. My three year old was scoped when a baby b/c of blood/mucus in stools. I did two weeks on a rice/turkey/pears only diet and lost way too much weight. In the end, it didn't really help either. What did help for her was introducing 2 oz of ALimentum into her diet each day. For some reason, just that little bit thickened up her stools, took away the blood and mucus and she now has no milk protein intolerance.

Good luck - I know how hard it is.

Amy said...

So hard! Are you still taking your prenatal vitamins? I hope you are somehow getting your nutrients. Oh, and have you seen Meet The Parents? Robert Deniro created this hilarious man-boob so he can "nurse" his grandson. I think you should try to get one of those.

Amy said...

I second the man boob! :-) But the bottle is kind of scary looking. I hope he keeps drinking from it for you. Go Owen!