Saturday, December 13, 2008

Why Don't Dinosaurs....

Yesterday Colin was very quietly watching a Land Before Time video (it's a cartoon about dinosaurs). He turned to me and said, "Mom, why don't dinosaurs have nipples?"

After I resisted the urge to fall over on the floor from shock or to laugh hysterically I started reminding him of the differences between mammals and reptiles. We talked about how mammals give birth to live young and feed their babies milk. He was really excited about the conversation especially when he realized "elephants have nipples JUST LIKE ME!!!"

But for some reason I guess my explanation about how dinosaur babies don't get milk and have to start eating leaves or meat as soon as they are born did not resonate. Because he turned to me and said "Maybe their nipples are on the inside". When I explained again that dinosaurs are not mammals and don't make milk he said "Well, maybe we need to look it up on the Internet".

1 comment:

Amy said...

Uh oh, that doubt is already setting in...Google might be smarter than mommy! LOL.